Sunday, January 11, 2009

Las aventuras de este fin de semana

Hola muchachos!



I'm sitting here with my roommate Megan and my housemate Vivian as we're all again being dorks with the little time we get on our laptops to rest. This weekend has been pretty crazy, running around doing a lot of stuff.



Friday - was crazy. The international students had stuff to do all day from I think 9am to 10pm. I left the last event early because I was just wiped out. But yeah, we had a lot of meetings about immigration, student organizations, activites in Tech, gym stuff and about all the cool things that the international programs office has planned for us. There are so many amazing trips that I'm still not sure which ones I want to do or costs or anything. But they have so many trips planned for very good prices for what they do for you. And after they had a student get-together where they had really cool Mexican dancers from Tech and a band. Something that I didn't expect was the amazingness of the fine arts program at Tech. I expected that it would be mostly just business courses and engineering courses and clubs because it's a technical university. But man, their fine arts program is like a professional university or really even studio of its own. But yeah so Friday was fun but definitely this week has been tiring.

Saturday - was not what I had planned to do but it was good. Me and a guy I met on the airplane ride to Monterrey on Tues (we both figured out that we were going to the same place so we talked most of the way there and I got to see some cool pictures he took in Spain last summer I think)....away from that seguay now....we both needed to go to Walmart so we met up after our meetings in the morning and went to Walmart with his roommate. It was pretty fun when they started asking me what kinds of things they needed and what kinds of things girls like guys to have at their place. So I helped them with that and got a few things. Oh PS....you basically take taxis everywhere around here which is so different from what I'm used to but it hasn't felt weird or anything......But yeah so we took taxis to and from Walmart back to their apartment to drop stuff off so then we could go to Telcel so I could get my local phone working. And though I didn't understand all of what the receptionist people said, I got most of it and was able to communicate partially back what I wanted to do. It's been a huge blessing being able to communicate and learn things quickly. I wish I could explain fully how much God has blessed my experience here so much. He continues to reveal amazing things and His comfort and love above all else. And it has definitely been an amazing time to lean on Him...especially when it's hard or I start feeling alone. He has been such an amazing comfort and has not let me fall...He has kept me so close to Him and it has been such a blessing. He's put me in a beautiful dream place so far and just blessed me with an amazing host family who is basically like my family - not strict but has certain rules. Expects responsibility for the all the freedom given which has been amazing. (I don't know how many times I've said amazing yet lol). The fact that I'm surrounded by mountains and get to go to see all these amazing sites and have these experiences. Everything is a new adventure that I love because I'm either seeing new things, meeting new people, practicing my Spanish or learning something new. And God has protected me physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. I do ask for continued prayers for that. I know it's absolutely necessary because too many ways that satan can mess with my mind or I can just slip out of the comfort in Christ without really checking on that. So prayers for that protection and comfort and me to continually check up on that. So.......un-seguay......We went to Soriana across the street which is like a huge grocery store. And everything there smelled so fresh. So me and John split a pastry because it was way too tempting. Then we went back to his apartment to get my stuff and I took a taxi back to my host family. Hung out there for a while with the host family. And the cool things about saturdays is that the dad cooks steak every saturday out on their grill. It was soooo good. And as a host family gift I gave them a Brad Paisley CD for a Texas kind of thing. So also it's tradition for them to listen to music fairly loudly while they're preparing the steaks and eating. So while the dad was preparing the food, we danced to some Brad Paisley! :) lol. That was definitely amazing. But after hanging out at the house, me and Megan went out to event with a lot of the other international students. It was hosted by Tech and it started at 10pm and lasted until 2am but me and Megan left earlier. I don't know how these people do it here! lol

Sunday - woke up around 9am and got ready for church. Had some breakfast and by the time everybody was ready to go, we were pretty late. So we got there for like the last 5-10 minutes of mass. I was sad about that, but the church was gorgeous. It looked like an old colonial cathedral so I'll have to figure out how I can get my pictures up online. Then, me, my housemates, and most of the host family went to these 2 nearby museums about the history of Mexico and something else. There were so many religious sculptures, paintings and what not. So it was cool to see that. Then, we ate at this tamal place (tamale is apparently not a word for all those TexMex restaurants out there lol). It was really good. When the dad came to pick us back up, we went to Walmart and then came home. And now I'm here and need to do some stuff for the first class day tomorrow. Man, it does not feel like I have class tomorrow. I think it's cause UT classes don't start for another week. And it feels like I'm on vacation or camp or something.

So that's what's been going on so far. Please continued prayers again for safety and God's comfort and continual presence near to me. Hope everyone's doing well. tty soon

un beso,
Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment