Monday, January 26, 2009

Un día tarde...Lo siento! :D











So....I'm a day late on this past week. This weekend was pretty packed crazy...that's my excuse...wimpy I know :).

But so second week of school was good. I didn't get all my classes situated until today though which was good. I'm now taking two courses in Spanish and two in business courses in English. The classes here are definitely a lot more laidback and a lot easier than in the states. I'm also very blessed to have the particular classes that I have. They haven't given barely any homework so it's helped me concentrate on getting other things done like visa stuff and enjoying my time here with friends and not feeling pressured to do things. It's been nice to be surrounded by Spanish, but I tell you, it sure does wear you out! I come home just ready for bed most of the time...but then it's funny because they stay up later so I'm ready for bed and their ready to eat and talk! lol. I know some people from Germany especially have had trouble with the time-schedule transition because they want to go to bed early unlike the mexicans. Pretty funny.

I really like my Cultura de México class. The teacher speaks at a decently fast pace, but not crazy fast. The class is really fun. We just did presentations about stereotypes - from our countries and what we think of Mexico. It was actually really cool to hear everybody's views and about all the different places that people come from. My Superior Spanish Grammar class is difficult because the professor speaks pretty fast and it's a challenging spanish grammar class to begin with, but she doesn't give a lot of homework so that's good. My business classes have been really easy so far. The one I have on tuesdays seems like it's going to be a little more mind-challenging which I'm excited about. It's about International Trade Agreements in Mexico which is something we touched on in a class I took back in spring of last year at UT so it should be good to expand on Mexico in particular. The teaching and learning style is very different here. They don't force you to do anything. It's all your responsibility, but the class works way better when everyone comes prepared.

So now for the weekend....oh craziness :P.....

Friday I ran around doing visa stuff and just stuff that needed to get done. The night was relaxing since I stayed home as well and talked with my love :). Unfortunately, we didn't get to have our marriage session which reminds me - prayers for Kyle and his job. I know it's been very frustrating and time-consuming right now for him so prayers that God will protect him and his company from the hits.

Then Saturday, woke up fairly early and went to a Teotihuacan exhibit at the museum inside Fundidora Park. The park is more like a huge area of land with all sorts of buildings and such on it - museums, parks, arena and all that jazz. It was really beautiful and not that expensive. Then we got some lunch - unfortunately, still haven't had tacos outside of the house. Of all things I thought it was funny that we had pizza and that last time I went out we had basically US food. Pretty funny. Came home and went to HEB where it was great fun trying to explain to the lady about my insurance in which I still am going to have to reimbursed for - oh well. But yeah, and then of course, Hilda and Oscar prepared carne asada - steak! like they do every saturday. Apparently it's very popular in Monterrey to make a lot of steak. That's cool with me ;).

But me and some of my host family kids didn't eat until after we got back from the play. It was a comedy completely in Spanish. It was difficult to stay focused for that long especially at night when you're tired, but the actors did a great job. I really enjoyed it.

So then the next day, Sunday, went to church at 12:30 and afterward, went with a lot of people to Chili's (another US restaurant) for one of the girl's birthdays. It was awesome how so many people came. But me and 5 other girls split some food and it was pretty good. But we didn't want to eat too much cause not too long afterwards, we had a huge party (40 people) to celebrate the Chinese New Year which is today! So came home after Chili's and had to rush to get back up to school so we could all start taking taxis to the restaurant where our crazy hosts had rented the entire upper level. It was so fun! Our hosts planned all these fun activities and traditions to celebrate the Chinese New Year and I really enjoyed it. But that is why I'm pretty tired today. And also.........

Happy birthday to my love today!!! :D

Love you guys. Getting really tired though so I'm gonna head off to bed. Buenas noches por ahora. Talk to you soon.

un beso,
Bethany
ps: there's a lot of peacocks, deer and ducks on campus. No joke it's crazy awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment